Position Title: Communications and Program Associate
Reports To: Donor Services Officer, Program Officer
The Licking County Foundation helps people leave a lasting legacy to the community. We are many causes and generous donors with one common desire: to improve the lives of the people in our own backyard. Established over 60 years ago, the Foundation has grown to more than $100 million in assets through generations of gifts made by compassionate donors. Investing in our home has changed the lives of countless people by providing resources to a neighbor in need, helping a student achieve their dream of college, enhancing the beauty of our parks, supplying books to encourage an early love of reading, and much more. Licking County Foundation serves Licking County, Ohio with offices located in downtown Newark. For more information, please visit www.thelcfoundation.org.
The Communications and Program Associate will assist the Donor Services Officer and the Program Officer to complete a number of writing, organizational and online media tasks. In carrying out these activities, this position will develop key materials and messages needed for their constituencies, and secure design and other consultant expertise as needed. Vehicles for the distribution of these messages include, but are not limited to: electronic and print publications, website, social media, news media, meetings, events, and video. This position will assist the Donor Services Officer with execution of marketing/public relations strategies in accordance with the Foundation’s overall community investment vision and objectives. This position will assist the Program Officer with execution of grantmaking strategies in accordance with the Foundation’s overall community impact vision and objectives.
Marketing, Communications, Public Relations and Outreach
- Work with the Donor Services Officer to implement a communications/public relations plan for the Foundation that builds its brand and strategic positioning.
- Maintains and updates email, mailing and media lists.
- Assists in writing donor and grant partner profiles, press releases, Foundation’s newsletter, and contributes to website content.
- Uses social media to implement communication strategy.
- Works with the Donor Services Officer on development of the annual report.
- Executes positioning tactics through the development of tools that inform and promote fund types.
- Uses key messages that position the Foundation strategically in the Foundation’s communication with external parties and media.
- Manage an annual campaign with the assistance and input of the Donor Services Officer.
- Assist in the preparation and implementation of events for donors, professional advisors and other key relationships for the Foundation.
Grants, Scholarships, Special Programs and Community Initiatives
- Prepares summaries of interim and final grant reports for communicating the impact of the following programs through marketing, communications, public relations and outreach: Community, Capital and Strategic Grants, Community Conversations and other convenings, and Tibbie Leslie Travel Grants.
- Administers the following programs in coordination with the Program Officer and the Donor Services Officer: Leaders for Learning Awards, Event Sponsorship Grants, Random Acts of Kindness Grants, State Farm Fire Safety Grants, Tibbie Leslie Travel Grants, and Youth Philanthropy Grants. Duties will include: assisting in grant proposal evaluations, conducting background research, preparing proposals for funding, maintaining grant applications, preparing meetings, recording minutes, and coordinating events.
- Works with the Program Officer in administering a youth giving council that teaches high school youth about philanthropy. Duties will include: preparing meetings, recording minutes, supporting sub-committee, and coordinating events.
- Works with the Program Officer in administering the outreach- and impact-related aspects of the scholarship program. Duties will include: application period outreach, blog post development, scholarship offer day coordination, certificate preparation, assisting with mailings to recipients and donors, coordinate donor participation in annual scholarship award presentations at area high schools, and other related activities.
- Works with the Program Officer and the Donor Services Officer to coordinate donor and community stakeholder participation in annual grant and scholarship presentation events and other related activities; and to maintain and update email and mailing lists.
- Assists the Donor Services Officer with public relations, particularly related to grant and scholarship programs.
- Perform other duties as requested.
Qualifications, Skills and Experiences:
- Bachelor’s degree is required with preference for experience in communications, marketing, journalism or related field. Nonprofit sector experience is a plus.
- Excellent computer skills; proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Acrobat, etc.)
- Knowledge of website and social media management.
- Must be technologically savvy—a quick learner of new software programs; and must have a demonstrated ability using technology as a tool to streamline responsibilities.
- Excellent organizational skills, prioritization, and self-motivation skills.
- Excellent verbal, listening and written communication skills.
- Excellent spelling/grammar/proofreading/math skills.
- Well-developed research skills; the ability to synthesize new information readily.
- Ability to communicate well with diverse constituencies.
- Work courteously, effectively, and comfortably with others including donors, community leaders, volunteers, Foundation staff members, trustees, and visitors to the Foundation.
- High level of interpersonal skills, with customer service experience in handling confidential and sensitive customer information desired.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, meet deadlines.
- Ability to work within a team structure.
- Excellent judgment, flexibility, good humor, and initiative.
- A commitment to the Foundation’s values and mission.
- Initiative and creativity.
- Personal and professional integrity.
- Well-organized, flexible and self-directed.
- Friendly and accessible.
- Exhibit professionalism in conduct, appearance, and performance.
Full-time; salaried; non-exempt position. Annual salary range is $34,000 to $42,000. Salary for this position will be commensurate with the selected candidate’s work experience and qualifications. The Foundation offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to Connie Hawk, Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Electronic submissions are preferred. All submissions are confidential. Applications will be accepted until July 19, 2019.
Licking County Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates. There shall be no discrimination of persons on the basis of race, age, sex, marital status, disability, citizenship, philosophy/religion, national origin, sexual orientation, political affiliation or belief with regard to hiring, assignment, promotion or other conditions of staff employment.