Position: Regular/Full Time/Exempt
Reports to: Assistant Controller (direct)
This position reports to the assistant controller, and controller and provides support for the financial and accounting functions of the foundation. The fund accountant is responsible for reconciling various bank accounts, analyzing financial records, and posting, reviewing and verifying transactions and journal entries, preparing audit schedules, preparing audit confirmation responses, reconciling accounts such as fixed assets and administrative fees, reconciling and maintain schedules related to planned giving accounts, and completing special projects as assigned.
Responsibilities and Expected Outcomes:
The responsibilities of this position may include, but are not limited to the following:
Trust Fund Accounting , (approximately 70% of position duties)
Process and post detailed financial transactions for funds held at the trustee banks and financial institutions; analyze results to ensure their accuracy. Develop related financial reporting statements.
- Reconcile activities between different funds. Provide explanation for any differences in net transfers between funds.
- Balance and reconcile TCF accounts to bank fund statements on a monthly basis.
- Analyze, record, and reconcile complex investment transactions on a monthly basis researching and resolving all exception transactions to ensure that the foundation’s general ledger and donor advised statements correctly report the financial activity.
- Assist in resolving accounting discrepancies in a timely, accurate and appropriate manner.
Administrative fees and Spending policy
- Prepare the spending and administrative fee calculation for new funds throughout the year.
- Prepare and post quarterly administrative fee transactions to funds.
- Prepare quarterly and annual reconciliation of administrative fees to the general ledger.
Planned Gifts Accounting and Payment Tracking
- Reconcile all bank accounts related to the charitable gift annuity (CGA) and charitable remainder trust (CRT) funds.
- Track monthly/quarterly/annual payments made to annuitants to ensure payments are made timely and accurately.
- Work with the external tax return preparers and gift planning team to ensure that all tax related documents for the CGA and CRT funds are filed timely.
- Prepare various books, ledgers, accounts and schedules for the annual audit.
- Prepare various detail schedules related to the cash flow statement.
- Update capital spending and calculate depreciation expense using the fixed asset software.
- Prepare fixed assets report using various financial reports for the controller.
Other General Support Functions
- Monthly bank account reconciliations.
- Assist in financial and tax reporting.
- Compile/review audit confirmations requested by various audit firms.
- Accounts payable.
- Grant disbursements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Assist the controller and assistant controller with special projects within the foundation’s finance and accounting functions.
Essential Qualifications, Credentials and Technical Skills required:
The successful candidate must process the following professional qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance or related field with one to three years of experience in fund accounting and familiarity with accounting standards for not-for-profits.
- Self motivated with analytical thinking skills to identify, research, and resolve exceptions; and the ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously while managing day-to-day responsibilities.
- Strong systems knowledge and experience with an integrated operating system. Proficient in Excel, Outlook, and Word with demonstrated knowledge of working with financial software packages.
- Impeccable attention to detail as well as outstanding analytical, organizational, and problem solving skills.
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to respond sensitively and patiently to staff inquiries in a timely manner.
- Self-direction; ability to work autonomously and collaboratively in a complex environment as part of a diverse team.
- Deadline driven with the ability to meet or exceed reporting requirements.
Starting salary for this position will be commensurate with the selected candidate’s background and experience. The foundation offers an exceptional benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life and disability coverage, a comprehensive wellness program, a fully vested 403(b) retirement plan and three weeks of vacation the first year of service, prorated based on date of hire. If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a resume and cover letter indicating salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 18, 2019. We regret that we cannot respond personally to each applicant.