Salary: $55,000 annually
Title: Grant Development Officer Reports To: Vice President of Grants, Director of Grants and/ or Deputy Director of Grants
Hours: Full Time Supervises:: None
FLSA Status: Exempt OSHA Exposure Category: Ill
Person in this position will be responsible for the drafting, editing, and submitting of grant applications developed to support West Care programs. This Grant Development Officer will work with leadership to improve grant application quality and volume. The GDO will assist senior level and or contract staff on complex applications and special projects. Essential Job Functions include those listed below.
Essential Job Functions:
- Gathers information, data, and related documents for grant applications.
- Assembly of documents, proposals, and attachments
- Conducting research on a variety of content areas such as substance abuse and mental health, corrections, homelessness, etc.
- Shadow leadership and senior staff on complex applications
- Mentor peers who are developing skills including provision of feedback and proposal review prior to submission
- Identify and review new funding opportunities
- Organize and maintain the grant spreadsheet, deadlines, task list activities and funding reminders
- Assist grant leadership and or agency leadership with special projects and training as assigned including fund development, capital campaigns and limited post award activities
- Must be able to coordinate and lead large complex states and territories applications within WestCare network
- Maintenance of Grant Management System
- Ability to work on multiple applications as the same time
- Responsible for registering state electronic login passwords for the organization and forward to appropriate staff for the permanent record
- Develop grant applications for submission to local, county, state, and federal entities, as well as private foundations and other grant-making organizations.
- Must complete training as assigned through WestCare e-learning system in addition to training identified on their individualized training plan.
- Work with budget staff to develop realistic budgets based upon program design outlined within the proposal by making recommendations and proposing budget modifications
- Must develop logic mode ls and simple evaluation plans for review by the Evaluation Department and or senior level staff.
- Embrace and embody the mission, vision, guiding principles, clinical vision, and goals of WestCare Foundation.
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
- Not applicable for this position.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Journalism, English or related field required.
- Specialized training or experience in grant development may be substituted for degree.
Experience and Competencies:
- Must be an experienced writer able to craft funding proposals in a clear and compelling manner. Excellent writing, analytical, and research skill s are essential
- Willingness and ability to mentor peers and others learning grant profession
- Must possess an ability to work well under pressure and the ability to seek and synthesize information and communicate in a compelling and succinct form (written and verbal)
- Understanding of budgets as they relate to applications
- Must be precise and detail oriented
- Must be proficient in Microsoft “Office”, “Works” and “Adobe Pro” software
- Familiarity with “Visio” a plus
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Three to five years of relevant grant development experience is required
- Work is primarily performed in an office setting
- Minimal noise
- The normal work routine involves no exposure to human blood, body fluids or tissues. Persons who perform these duties are not called upon as part of their employment to perform or assist in emergency medical care or first aid to be potentially exposed in some other way
Essential Physical and Mental Demands of the Job
The employee must be able to perform the following essential duties and activities wit h or without accommodation:
- Requires mobility and physical activity: Having an adequate range of body motion and mobility to work in an office, residential, or outdoor environment including standing and walking (even and uneven surfaces), sitting for extended periods of time, bending, twisting, reaching, balancing, occasional lifting and carrying of up to 50 pounds. Use of computer and telephone systems is required which includes coordination of eye and hand, and fine manipulation by the hands (typing, writing, and working with files). Requires the ability to defend oneself and clients in physically abusive situations through the use of approved physical de-escalation techniques.
- Requires talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Talking is required to impart oral information to employees, clients, patients, and the public, and in those activities in which the employee is required to convey detailed or import ant spoken instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Requires hearing: Hearing is required to receive and communicate detailed information through oral communication.
- Requires seeing: Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less and at distance. This factor is required to complete paperwork for many of the employee's essential job functions and to observe client behavior and activities in and out of the facility.
- The normal work routine involves no exposure to human blood, body fluids or tissues. However, exposure or potential exposure maybe required as a condition of employment. Appropriate personal protective equipment will be readily available to every employee.
- Requires the ability to collect and analyze complex numerical and written data and verbal information to reach logical conclusions
- Requires the ability to work and cooperate with clients, co-workers, managers, the public and employees at all levels in order to exchange ideas, information, instructions and opinions
- Requires the ability to work under stress and in emotionally charged settings
The ability to defend oneself and clients in mentally/verbally abusive situations through the use of approved mental/verbal de-escalation techniqu